Mashed potatoes took up about half my plate as a kid whenever they were served. And, thanks to me copycatting my dad at a young age, they typically had corn piled on top of them too. Some things never change (I still love mashed potatoes). And some things do: I have to make them dairy-free now and, unfortunately, I can’t seem to comfortably eat the same volume I could as a kid! 😉 These creamy dairy-free mashed potatoes deliciously solve one of those issues. They’re also gluten-free.
Because I was diagnosed with a cow’s milk allergy right after my daughter was born, my kids grew up with mashed potatoes made this way … and they LOVE them. Do they top them with corn like I do? Of course!
Making Mashed Potatoes Dairy-Free
Luckily, making creamy dairy-free mashed potatoes is all about substitutions. Specifically, substituting cow’s milk and butter for something else. When I’m in my own kitchen, I take it one step further by boiling the potatoes in half water/half vegetable broth or organic chicken broth, to give them a little extra flavor. If I’m visiting friends or relatives, I just ask if I can put some of the plain boiled potatoes in a separate bowl and “doctor those up” myself with some dairy-free substitutes. My favorites are unsweetened, unflavored almond milk and Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks. If I travel to be with family for the holidays (which usually requires flying), I use whatever they bought me and/or whatever I can find if I have the time to get to a grocery store.
One more tip: if you’ve never used organic potatoes for your mashed potatoes, I invite you to try them. I like their texture and taste much better than regular potatoes (and I love regular potatoes).
Other Dairy-Free Holiday Recipes
Looking for additional dairy-free holiday recipes? Try these:
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Dairy-free, soy-free pumpkin pie
- Dairy-free pie crust (can also be made soy-free)
- Dairy-free lemon pecan pie
- Dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, vegan cherry lime cookies (aka cherry pie cookies)
- Dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, gluten-free, vegan lemon almond wine cookies (a great, easy dessert for someone with a lot of allergies … or none)
- Dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan swiss chard and butternut squash gratin (the colors scream Christmas side dish)!
- Dairy-free, soy-free cornbread
- Dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free french bread
Pin it/save it to make it this holiday season (or try another time)!