During my tween years, I discovered a new love, thanks to my paternal grandmother and my mom: making homemade chocolate candy. For several years, we made chocolate-covered peanut butter balls (a.k.a buckeyes), chocolate Santas, chocolate suckers and more. After a long candy-making hiatus, a little challenge from Funky Chunky plus a sample of their Peppermint popcorn led me to rediscover my old love and create this Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn Bark. In the words of my daughter: “This just might be the best dessert ever.” I have to agree.
The combination of sweet and salty with dark chocolate, peppermint, chocolate drizzled popcorn and pretzels creates a habit-forming candy that has a low effort, high taste ratio! Make this for an upcoming party, a holiday gathering with family or any other occasion, and you will be the dessert hero! I PROMISE.
This Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn Bark is incredibly easy to make:
- Melt dark chocolate wafers
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper; coat that with canola oil (if you use a cookie sheet, which is larger, your bark will be thinner, unless you compensate by increasing your ingredient amounts some)
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 minutes
- Top with mini pretzels broken into pieces
- Top with Funky Chunky peppermint popcorn
- Gently press down the popcorn and pretzels into the top of the chocolate
- Chill in the refrigerator until solid
- Break into pieces and ENJOY!
You can store in a ziploc baggie in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve/eat!
NOTE: 99 percent of my recipes are dairy-free, but this one isn’t. To make it dairy-free, you can use a dairy-free chocolate for the bottom layer (like Enjoy Life brand mega chunks) and make your own popcorn drizzled with chocolate in place of the Funky Chunky (which doesn’t have a lot of dairy in it, but definitely isn’t dairy-free).
Pin it, save it, make it!